Thursday 24 May 2012

GOOD BYE GREECE



I have found Athens a revelation – not sure what I had in my mind, but the reality is so much better. I feel incredibly at home here and although there is a bit of graffiti around, no sign of demonstrations of any kind – no sign really that Greece is in such dire straights…. Maybe a few boarded up shops, but not too many. Talking to the local people, we get the impression they feel the media is “beating up” the problem, but also they (generally) feel that to go back to the drachma may be the best option. Perhaps we have been talking to people who are in some way in the tourist business, which of course will benefit enormously if they get rid of the euro.

We have been incredibly lucky with where our hotel is, we can see the Parthenon from the roof and all the ancient sites are well within walking distance. 

On our walk this morning:

CHANGING OF THE GUARD

TEMPLE OF ZEUS WITH PARTHENON IN BACKGROUND

We are next to the Plaka precinct, which is a pedestrian area, with lots of narrow streets full of restaurants and souvenir shops, doesn’t sound as charming at it really is. I had “lamb cooked in clay” for dinner last night… it was better than any I have ever eaten. 

PLAKA LAST NIGHT

LAMB COOKED IN CLAY POT


We have both really enjoyed our time here, but we fly out tonight for Dubrovnik, which I have such very high expectations of!

AG.

1 comment:

  1. All my favourite lamb recipes are Greek and Greek yoghurt isn't sweet so I'm sure I'd love it there too!

    ReplyDelete